Season 9 definitely got a lot of things right and we wanted to list some of our favorite additions before the launch of Season 10.
No season will ever be perfect, but Season 9 has come closer to that impossible bar than many others. Looking back through all the patches, we come to notice that the season has brought a ton of great changes to Fortnite.
We wanted to take a moment to go through our favorite additions of Season 9. Your opinions may differ from our assessments and we welcome you to let us know what your own favorites are. Now, where to begin? Yes, of course, the Hot Spots.
Fortnite Hot Spots – Better Loot, Less RNG
Loot’s always going to be a tricky business in Battle Royale games. The randomness of the looting may be considered a standard right now, but RNG leads to unlucky deaths that feel demoralizing.
In patch v9.10, Epic decided to try their hand at reducing RNG on a large scale by introducing Hot Spots. These are named locations which offer superior loot delivered in Loot Carriers that fly above the location. The loot inside is still random, but the chances for a SCAR or Heavy Sniper are vastly increased over Chests or Floor Loot.
The location is chosen randomly, but players can easily see the Hot Spot on the map as the Battle Bus flies overhead due to its yellow name. Epic even introduced these into Team Rumble to help ensure more engagements with legendary and epic weaponry.
Neo Tilted – A New City for a New Age of Fortnite
Tilted Towers was a mainstay of the Fortnite map for well over a year and fans saw the place crumble down to nearly nothing in Season 8. Epic, never ones to skip out on theatrics, staged the whole thing to welcome in Neo Tilted.
- Read more: Argentinian Fortnite player ‘King’ shares heartfelt moment with father after winning $900k
We were skeptical at first about how successful the new cityscape would be, but our doubts were put to rest in minutes. The cyberpunk and futuristic styling mixed with a Fortnite theme work wonderfully well. As usual Epic’s art team delivered an excellent experience that felt like a true upgrade and not a replacement.
The same goes for Neo Tilted’s gameplay. The same room to room combat remains with risky build fights taking place on the outsides. The metal architecture also gave way to making Tilted a great landing spot for competitive games due to mass materials.
Chug Splash – More Shielding for All
Item additions can be hard to pull off due to the unique problem of loot table balancing. If Epic puts in too many items, the chance of getting any specific item becomes unreasonably small. So, when they truly succeed with an item on all fronts, it has to make the list.
Chug Splashes were added in patch v9.30 and offered a shield/health item that can be used to heal teammates, yourself, and even enemies. Other than a few bugs and glitches, the release of the item went quite smoothly.
The Chug Splashes are a Rare quality item and can be found readily in Chests and Floor Loot. Due to their healing and shielding capabilities, they are almost always useful on the spot. Additionally, Squad games were significantly improved as teammates can heal you mid-fight using Chug Splashes.
Legendary & Epic Tactical Shotguns
Let’s be honest. The Tactical Shotgun performed awfully throughout the past 4 seasons due to the Pump Shotgun’s utter dominance. Then, Epic decided to replace the Pump with the Combat Shotgun (for a time) which only made the Tactical even worse.
After several buffs to the normal Tacs, Epic realized that something just wasn’t clicking. Many fans and professional players called for the vaulting of the weapon, but it remained in-game nonetheless…possibly due to the Fortnite partnership with Nerf.
With the third v9.40 content update, the Epic & Legendary Tactical shotguns arrived. After weeks and months of under-powered struggles, the Tac returned to the Fortnite meta. The Combat Shotgun still manages to beat it due to superior range, but a headshot from Gold Tac at point blank range feels satisfying and deals lethal damage more often than not.
Slipstream Mobility Network – Fly Like an Eagle
Slipstreams came onto the Fortnite map immediately in v9.00 and we have to admit our hesitation to the place them in the top 5. They often offer mobility even to players in losing fights and reduce the overall skill gap due to easy rotations.
With that mentioned, we think Slipstreams have to take a spot on this list due to how impactful they have been in changing the game. In the past, rotations were either dependent on player awareness or random vehicle spawns. With Slipstreams, players got a guaranteed mobility option.
- Read more: Complete map of Fortnite Season 9 Fortbytes
Epic nerfed the mechanics of the Slipstream slightly to balance out the ease and convenience. After a few short days, they quickly implemented a mechanic which turns these off in late-game scenarios. These changes helped to make the Slipstream a welcome addition to the map.
If Epic intends to remove these in the future, many newer players will need to learn how to rotate to the next zone on foot or in a vehicle.
What are some of your favorite additions of Season 9? Feel free to leave your comments down below. The season’s been a good one and we hope Season 10 continues the same trend upwards as Fortnite’s growth continues into other arenas of play.
Fortnite Galactus event: Nexus War start date and time
The exact date and time for the Nexus War finale in Fortnite has been confirmed, and there is little time to prepare for the Galactus event.
The event, which will bring Chapter 2, Season 4 to a climax, as Galactus – aka the Devourer of Worlds – is bombing towards the map to, presumably, destroy it all.
The countdown to the event appeared in-game on November 21, and Epic have now confirmed the exact date and time when the Nexus War will commence.
“It was only a matter of time.” Epic say in their blog post. “Galactus is closing in on the Island and the fate of all Reality lies in the balance. Join the ultimate fight against Galactus in the one-time-only Nexus War finale event.”
When is the Galactus event in Fortnite?
The Nexus War finale event will start on December 1 at 1PM PT / 4PM ET / 9PM GMT.
To make sure you don’t miss out, Epic has given some tips to be prepared for the event:
- DOWNLOAD THE LATEST UPDATE
If you haven’t already downloaded the 14.60 update, load the game on your preferred device and download today.
- DOWNLOAD HOUSEPARTY
Fortnite’s new integration with Houseparty means you can have live video chat in Fortnite (PC, PS4/PS5) while attending the event.
- GET IN EARLY
We’ve taken measures to ensure more people can attend the event, but we still recommend everyone log into Fortnite at least 60 minutes prior to the event start. The event playlist is expected to go live 30 minutes prior to the start time.
Of course, even if you can’t play the game yourself at the time, you’ll still be able to catch the action on Twitch and YouTube streams from content creators.
As Epic confirms, this is a one-time-only event, so there won’t be any reruns unlike previous end of season events.
Fortnite update 14.60 patch notes: Venom Skin, Creative changes & more
Venom joins the fight in Fortnite Battle Royale, and there are lots of changes in Creative in the 14.60 update. There’s still no official patch notes from Epic Games, but we’ve brought together everything you need to know here.
Despite being the final update of Season 4, it looks like the bulk of the new content will be coming at the start of the new season instead.
Although there’s no complete patch notes, we can still put together all the changes here, along with the email sent out to content creators with the main features.
Venom is the highlight of this update. You can play for a chance to earn his skin the Venom cup.
The skin pack includes a Venom emote, symbiote slasher pickaxe, and tendril tote back bling. Check out the skin in-game:
XP Xtravaganza Part Two
XP Xtravaganza Part 2 starts this week: “Get the whole squad together and take on these party-wise challenges to finish out the Battle Pass in style,” Epic explain.
Houseparty x Fortnite video chat
Fortnite has teamed up with Houseparty to bring a brand new video chat feature.
Houseparty video chat will be available to Fortnite players on PC, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation 4. Players will also need an iOS or Android mobile device with the Houseparty app installed. With the app installed, connect your Houseparty account to your Epic Games account to get started.”
Taken from an official blog post to the Fortnite website, Epic Games detailed specific changes for Creative mode.
- You can now hide the Elimination Feed and mute Elimination Audio to encourage sneaky sniping!
- Updated the Hub Island portal layout to accommodate the recent updates to hub creator guidelines.
ISLANDS BUG FIXES
- Fixed an issue where the time of day lighting appeared differently on featured islands and personal islands.
- Added a new option to My Island > Settings
- Player Elimination Audio: Off, On (Default: On) – causes eliminated players to be despawned silently.
- Added new options to My Island > UI
- Hide Elimination Feed: Yes, No (Default: No) – completely hides the elimination feed during the game.
- Hide Party Eliminations: Yes, No (Default: No) – hides the number of eliminations for each party member in the Party UI during the game.
GAMEPLAY BUG FIXES
- Fixed an issue where an eliminated player could spectate a player on the enemy team.
- Fixed an issue where Team Size did not limit the number of players when Join in Progress was set to ‘Spawn Next Round’.
- Fixed an issue where the sky would flicker on PS4.
WEAPONS AND ITEMS BUG FIXES
- Fixed an issue where the X-4 Stormwing was de-synced after player interaction.
- Fixed an issue where husks did not fall off edges to follow players.
CREATIVE TOOLS AND PHONE BUG FIXES
- Fixed an issue where players could not open the Creative Inventory after cutting and pasting a device.
- Fixed an issue where the Creative Inventory appeared distorted when customizing a device.
PREFABS AND GALLERIES BUG FIXES
- Fixed a collision issue with the pillar wall asset from the Princess Castle Wall galleries.
- Fixed an issue with the bush from Winter Variant Foliage Gallery A having a yellow glow.
- Fixed an issue with a bridge girder asset from the Steel Bridge galleries being difficult to place with the phone.
- Fixed an issue with some of the Steel Bridge prefabs & galleries placing outside of the preview boundary.
- Fixed an issue with the bridge street asset from the Steel Bridge set having a misaligned grid snap box.
- Fixed an issue with assets from the Swamp Cliff Gallery displaying the wrong texture.
- Added new options to the Class Selector device.
- Activation Audio: On, Off (Default: On) – allows the audio effect played when a player changes class to be muted.
- Zone Audio: On,Off (Default: On) – allows the ambient audio effect for the zone and the audio effects for players entering and leaving the zone to be muted.
- Added new options to the Mutator Zone device.
- Selected Team: None, 1-16 (Default: None)
- Affects Team: Selected, All But Selected (Default: All But Selected)
- These two options replace the old Safe Team option to allow the zone to affect all teams (Selected Team = None), just the Selected Team, or every team except the Selected Team.
- Selected Class: None, Any, 1-16 (Default: None)
- Affects Class: Selected, All But Selected (Default: All But Selected)
- These two options replace the old Safe Class option to allow the zone to affect all classes (Selected Class = Any), players without a class (Selected Class = None), just the Selected Class, or every class except the Selected Class.
- Update Selected Team When Receiving From: No Channel, 1-150 (Default: No Channel) – sets the Selected Team on the device to be the same team as the player who instigated the signal.
- Update Selected Class When Receiving From: No Channel, 1-150 (Default: No Channel) – sets the Selected Class on the device to be the same class as the player who instigated the signal.
DEVICES BUG FIXES
- Fixed an issue with the Player Spawn Pad’s lighting being too bright on PS5 during mixed island filters.
- Fixed an issue where the Mutator Zone Class Selected option was offset by 1.
Fortnite 14.60 bug fixes
As per usual, the Fortnite team has also added a number of bugs and issues to their official Trello board. This week’s patch actually only has a few fixes included but will cover the battle royale, Creative mode, and even Save the World.
Here is the full list of bug fixes coming in v14.60:
- Disabled voice chat cannot be re-enabled on Xbox Series X/S.
- ‘Lock Input Method as Mouse’ does not lock the input method.
- Doctor Doom’s Mystical Bomb disabled in competitive playlists.
- Team Size setting does not properly function when Join In Progress is set to Join Next Round.
Save the World
- Wild West Llama not granting Steampunk weapon.
Black Widow bundle coming to Fortnite Item Shop
After initially only being available as a reward for competing in the Marvel Knockout Duo tournament, all players will soon be able to get the Black Widow Bundle in Fortnite.
The bundle include’s Black Widow’s Snow Suit outfit, which is based on her look in the upcoming Marvel feature about the superhero, releasing in May.
In addition to the skin, the bundle also includes a Back Bling with her Iconic electroshock batons, and there will also be a Black Widow glider in the shop.
The announcement from Marvel doesn’t include a price for the bundle yet.
You can expect it to be available in the Item Shop on November 14, if you didn’t manage to pick it up already in the Knockout tournament.
Also, Fortnite has teamed up with Disney+, offering 2 months free with any purchase of V-Bucks or real-money purchase.
Fortnite Galactus event: Nexus War start date and time
The exact date and time for the Nexus War finale in Fortnite has been confirmed, and there is little time...
All leaked Fortnite skins & cosmetics from v14.60
Fortnite v14.60 brought leaked skins, pickaxes, and more cosmetics to the game.
Fortnite update 14.60 patch notes: Venom Skin, Creative changes & more
Venom joins the fight in Fortnite Battle Royale, and there are lots of changes in Creative in the 14.60 update....