Epic Games Director of Audio Production, Zak Belica, has provided an update via Reddit discussing many improvements coming to audio in Fortnite.
Patch v9.10 is expected to release the week of Monday, May 20th, 2019. A blog post provided by Epic details the many changes coming to audio which aim to provide a better player experience.
Changes include quality of life improvements, especially to enemy awareness. Audio issues have been a big topic in the Fortnite community for quite some time but appear to be being addressed. What are your thoughts?
Release 9.1 will arrive soon, and we have continued to work on known audio issues. This release features many quality of life improvements, especially around awareness of enemy players close by. Thanks for the continued Fortnite audio quality feedback in these threads, it really is appreciated. As always, please feel free to point out areas of audio improvement and bugs to us in the thread; we’ll be reading and investigating what the community shares and report what we’re working on. Here’s an overview of the improvements in release 9.1 and updates on the future audio roadmap:
Release 9.1 Audio fixes and updates:
- Switch audio dropout issues fixed for real- apologies, this was meant to be in for 9.0 but we had unexpected technical problems.
- Fixed location of close-range enemy pickaxe impact sound, so it plays from the impact point and not the player that’s pickaxing.
- Removed ducking of building sounds when firing your weapon.
- Lowered the minimum velocity required to trigger a landing sound; this helps prevent players from silently ‘bunny hopping’ up ramps.
- Added a new jump sound for enemies that’s louder than your own.
- Increased jump sound attenuation to match enemy footsteps.
- Reduced the amount of time that it takes the enemy in-air audio loop to kick on, for better awareness of an enemy dropping in on you from above.
- Boosted volume of occluded footsteps and landing sounds.
- Tighter spatialization of close-range pickaxe sounds from other players.
- Added a clearer sound when an enemy confirms an edit on a building piece within ~2 tiles of your position.
- Removed glider audio tell for players traveling through a Slipstream.
- Added a new “Headshot + Shield Break” sound, for when the two events occur at the same time. If a shield break is “CHINGSHH” and a headshot is “PA-CHING” then the new sound is “PA-CHINGSHH”.
Release 9.1 open audio issues:
- Fix for PC audio device swap issues; we are planning to have this for the 9.2 release.
What we’re working on for the upcoming season:
- Fix for footstep sounds on the edge of structures gives audio as if you’re walking on the ground.
- Better hear the approach of enemy players outside player-built structures.
- Improvements to issues of sounds dropping outside of player FOV.
- Improvement of close versus distant player gliding sounds, to help clarify distance of gliding enemies.
- Longer sounds properly playing during Replays.
- Improved differentiation of teammate verus enemy audio.
- Internal testing of binaural/HRTF solution that will be a great help to headphone players, as well as other spatialization improvements.
As a reminder, the best way to inform us of your bugs is following the below format:
- replay URL
- time code of issue
- display name of player followed via gameplay view
- description of issue
Zak Belica, Director of Audio Production