A rather large and undocumented change made after Fortnite Patch v6.21 is the addition of multiple large arenas placed in the sky when in a Playground match.
It seems that Epic is taking Playground fun and re-playability seriously as multiple new arenas have been added that are only available in the sandbox mode. This addition is likely to give players a load of new ideas and possibilities.
— LootLake.net | Everything Fortnite Battle Royale (@LootLakeBR) November 1, 2018
In order of appearance, here are all of the arenas which can be found above the map…
- Pirate Ship – Seems to be a simple build showoff without much functionality, great for cinematics and build inspiration.
- Parkour Course – Between the initial Pirate Ship and yet another Pirate Ship seems to be some sort of parkour course which players can test their movement skills on.
- Pirate Ship – Same as the first Pirate Ship, good for team-based mini-games.
- Spiky Stadium – Connected via a bridge is a Spiky Stadium, eliminating the need to find Red Supply Drops for players who just want to quickly play in the stadium.
- Battle Arenas – Located across from the Spiky Stadium are 4 arenas which each feature 4 Vending Machines, a Freeze Trap, and a hole in the center of the Arena.
- Trap Arena – Next to the Spiky Stadium is an Arena constructed with Freeze and Spike Traps which could make some great mini-games. A Time Trail pickup can be found here.
- Build Templates – 3 Build Templates can also be found showing the players how to build a Llama, a double Staircase, and 1-1 builds.
- Unknown – An odd-looking structure with a Time Trial pickup can be found near the Llama build template.
- Pirate Ships – To finish it off, 2 more Pirate Ships can be found at the end of the stretch of Arenas.