In Patch v.3.0.0 released with Season 3 last week, Epic made a change to the way the pump shotgun behaves in-game, no longer allowing players to switch between two guns and shoot at high speeds:
“Pump Shotgun behavior has been addressed. Firing the Pump Shotgun and quickly switching weapons will now require you to pump the Shotgun before the next shot.”
A new method has now been discovered which allows players to get two shots off at speeds similar to those seen pre-patch before having to wait a short time to repeat. Using two pump shotguns now requires more precise timing and is not as easily to replicate as before, nor is it quite as powerful.
The method is as follows:
- Shoot with your first pump shotgun
- Swap to your second pump shotgun and wait for the ‘pump’ sound that signals the cooldown has ended
- Shoot with your second pump shotgun
- Swap to your first pump shotgun and repeat
Notice you do not have to wait for the ‘pump’ sound when swapping back to your original pump shotgun, allowing you to get off two shots in rapid succession.
You can see this method demonstrated by TSM Daequan in the video below:
It is unclear at this time whether Epic will make further changes to how the pump shotgun works but it seems they are keeping an eye on things with the following stated in the Patch Notes for v3.0.0:
- We will be monitoring any fallout from this and continuing to iterate on how this works throughout the next patches.